Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Continuation of Hair talk

I had the opportunity to go to the Dominican Republic over the weekend to see "family" and friends. While there, I happened to film my friend's 3 year old daughter doing her hair (her mother was feeding her baby sister). Over the two days I was in my community near the Haitian border, girls kept asking me if I knew how to do their hair so they wouldn't have to wait for their moms to help. Sadly, it's one of those things that I never learned how to do even though I've watched it many times. It's a fascinating thing to watch someone do a little girl's hair. It made me think about our conversation about hair and the "Girl Like Me" video. Coincidentally, on my flight home, in the Delta magazine there was an interview with Chris Rock about his movie, Good Hair. How can something so routine spark such a big debate?


No comments:

Post a Comment